Thursday, January 19, 2012

Peasant Beef Stew

I should warn you that we are *not* counting calories, but are trying to live a low-carb and low-fat life.  We try to not eat red meat more than once a week or so (with exceptions for leftovers).  Tonight is one of those nights where we splurge and ate a meal with red meat without changing the recipe to substitute turkey or chicken.  The stew was really tasty, but I might make some changes next time. I'll provide the version that I used and then make comments about the changes I will attempt next time.  Caesar salad from a bag finished out this meal for us.



From Idiot's Guide to Low Carb Meals, adapted for a slow-cooker.

Peasant Beef Stew


2 lbs. beef stew meat, cbed
2 cups frozen peas
1.5 cups shredded carrots
2 large onions, sliced
3/4 cup water
3 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.  I placed the meat and onion in first, then layered carrots, tomatoes, and frozen peas on top.

I think next time I would put the peas in about an hour before eating, since they were a little mushy.  Also, I will add more herbs next time, or use beef broth instead of the water. I liked the flavor here, but am also considering adding some rosemary, basil, and oregano for the next batch. This was a comforting meal (like pot roast) but, because the pieces started small and cooked all day, it was even more tender and juicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment